Search Buffalo Beer Biochemist

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Beer Place: Resurgence Brewing Company

My colleagues and I traveled to Resurgence Brewing Co. on Niagara Street for beers after work on an early Friday evening.  I had not visited Resurgence Brewing Co. since last July 4th, where a group of us sat in the expansive beer garden and watched fireworks literally explode overhead.  Being early February, the only thing falling from the sky was snow, and I was eager to see if Resurgence Brewing Co. had evolved much over the past two seasons.  Here are some pictures taken from outside the building.




The drinking space and atmosphere make Resurgence Brewing Co. a unique and comfortable hangout for a beer.  Large picnic tables both inside and outside the tap room encourage social interaction. Millenials and hipsters can be seen intermingling and playing life-size games of Connect 4, Jenga, and "cornhole".  Sporadically, you can hear a large crash of wooden Jenga blocks followed by  laughter, indicative of a recently finished game.  Decorative artwork and ceiling-height chalk menus adorn an entire wall.  Colorful panels indicate menu items and draft beer offerings.


The beer selection at Resurgence Brewing Co. are as varied in color and style as the chalkboards indicate.  My friends and I tried a beer flight of four offerings: Bridge Lager, NY Nugget Smash, Winter Saison, and Black Rye Session IPA.  Of these I believe my favorite was the Bridge Lager, a very drinkable, light, and refreshing beer.  I have to admit that I didn't quite understand the Winter Saison.  My palate was conflicted between this beer being both a saison, traditionally meant for consumption in summer months, and a winter warmer. 



Next I had a pint of the Ice Boom Bock.  This beer was a medium bodied Bock with a nice roasty taste, perfect for February.  Ice Boom Bock was able to mask the 7% alcohol deceptively well.  My friends purchased a Resurgence IPA, their best crafted beer in my opinion.  Resurgence IPA contains piney and fruit flavors complemented with a strong malt backbone.


I ended with a sample of the OG IPA (not shown on my chalkboard picture as this beer was just tapped), one of their original recipe IPAs.  Other offerings include local favorites such as Sponge Candy Stout and Loganberry Wit.  In the summer, I also enjoy the Blood Orange Saison, so I will look forward to that one when the weather turns warmer.


Resurgence Brewing Co. is filled with sensory input in all directions.  Where else can you view chalkboard artwork, brewing vessels, giant games, and beers of many styles and colors all in the same space?  Resurgence Brewing Co. also has numerous events scheduled, including a "Big Lebowski night", book signing events, and arts and crafts.



My visit to Resurgence Brewing Co. made me yearn for summer, when I plan to sit at a picnic table in the beer garden and sip a Resurgence IPA with friends.

Resurgence Brewing Company
1250 Niagara Street
Buffalo, NY  14213
Resurgence Brewing Website

No comments:

Post a Comment