Search Buffalo Beer Biochemist

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Beer Tasting: West Coast IPA

Green Flash Brewing Co. out of San Diego produces some very good beer, and most famous on that list is West Coast IPA.  As the colorful purple label declares, West Coast IPA is most certainly "extravagantly hopped".

At 95 IBU and 8.1% ABV, West Coast IPA is a delicacy for any hophead.  And with nearly 7,000 reviews on Beeradvocate.com, West Coast IPA has no doubt been tasted by many-a-hophead.  The average rating for West Coast IPA is a 94/100, ranking this beer #97 in the American Double / Imperial IPA category.

Green Flash has a monster workforce and also has some really cool programs going on at the brewery.  One particularly interesting program I found on their website is called "Hoppy Yoga".  Yoga participants of all skill levels can come to the brewery on Sunday morning for beer and yoga!  Green Flash is also committed to the enhancement of experimental beers and they have a night devoted to sour beers.  Green Flash provides quite the well-rounded brewery experience.


Here is the release schedule for the rest of the year for Green Flash.  I particularly enjoy their beer named "Palate Wrecker", an ever more hoppy and stronger IPA than West Coast IPA.  And I am going to keep my eyes open for their Mosaic session.



Here is a picture of my West Coast IPA.

Green Flash: West Coast IPA
ABV: 8.1%
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
Rating: #97 in style

My West Coast IPA poured a orange copper with a bit of haze and a nice stable head.  The smell is a complex aroma of citrus and pine.  The taste is of course extremely flavored with hops.  I do believe my particular West Coast IPA may have been a little aged, as I don't quite get some of the citrus complexity I expected to and I did see a bit of sediment floating around in my glass.  I did get nice hop bite and at 8.1% ABV West Coast IPA is packing a punch.

West Coast IPA is loaded with hops.  The label attests to the variety of hops in this beer:
Simcoe: tropical and grapefruit zest
Columbus: hop pungency
Centennial: pine notes
Citra: citrus zest
Cascade: floral aroma

You'll want to give West Coast IPA a try if you like hoppy beers.  But be certain you are in the mood for hops, because you will get plenty of them in each bottle.



No comments:

Post a Comment