Search Buffalo Beer Biochemist

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Beer Tasting: Logsdon Seizoen Bretta

As the day progressed yesterday, I kept bringing up the Facebook page from The Moor Pat in Williamsville, NY.  It was announced last month that on January 7th, there would be a "Sarene Craft Beer Distributors" event.  At this event, Moor Pat would have offerings from a few different breweries, all of which I had never heard of!  So I contemplated whether or not I should go, because you know, it was a Tuesday and all, and I generally don't go out on a Tuesday.  But after a few text messages and nudges from friends and family, I decided to go.  I also knew after conducting my own research that ALL of these beers were ranked extremely high.

Here is the draft board I walked in to see at The Moor Pat on this special event.


The beers from the Sarene event were interspersed with some other fine beers, but I wasn't really there for those (this time around).  Here is a list of the beers I was targetting:

(1) Logsdon (OR) Kili Wit
(2) Logsdon Straffe Drieling Tripel
(4) Logsdon Seizoen
(6) Logsdon Seizoen Bretta

(9) Carton (NJ) Boat Beer
(10) Knee Deep (CA) Simtra 3X IPA
(12) Knee Deep Citra Extra Pale Ale

(15) Knee Deep Midnight Hoppiness Black IPA

(18) Central Waters (WI) Bourbon Barrel Stout


Immediately, I was approached by one of the co-owners of The Moor Pat, Peter Braun.  He immediately amplified my obvious excitement.  Peter said "Kevin, these beers are all incredible, but the one I think you'll like is (6), the Logsdon Seizoen Bretta."

But before I reached the potent projected predilection of the evening, I had to "warm up" (literally, it was very cold outside) with a few other selections.  I tried the (9) Carton Boat Beer first.  This was a remarkably good session APA, and really got me in the mood to try some of the other beers.  I sampled (10) next, which reaffirmed by enjoyment of citra hops.  I slowly worked my way up through many of the other beers a sip at a time, until I finally got to the (6) Logsdon Siezoen Bretta.

A picture of my Logsdon Seizoen Bretta is shown below:

Logsdon Seizoen Bretta: Oregon
ABV: 8.0%
Style: Saison/Farmhouse Ale
Rank: #21 in style at Beeradvocate.com

The word "seizoen" is actually the Dutch translation for "season".  Traditionally, saisons are made in the winter season to be consumed in the summer.  Also known as farmhouse ales, these beers run a vast range of tastes.  This variation is due in part to the fact that farmhouse ales can include a mix of farm ingredients- whatever the brewer can get their hands on- herbs, spices, flowers.  Saisons are usually fruity and can have complex flavor profiles.

"Bretta" refers to the specific type of yeast strain that is used to make this beer.  Most beer is made with a species known as Saccharomyces cerevisiae (also known as baker's or bread yeast).  This beer is made with a different kind of yeast classified as Brettanomyces.  (I will compare these yeasts in a future entry).  The type of yeast you use in the brewing process can have significant and often signature effects on the flavor of the beer.

The Logsdon Seizoen Bretta poured a hazy gold color, and left good lacing.  The smell was complex and wonderful: the distinctive "sour" smell of liquids fermented with Brett yeast, grains, fruits, and a bit champagne-like.  For an 8% beer, this beer went down smooth.    This beer tasted of fruits, spices, and the sour Brett flavor.  I described the taste of this beer as a "half-way to a sour".

I enjoyed all the Logdson (and other brewery) offerings, but I do have to admit the Seizoen Bretta was my favorite.  I hope to find and subsequently drink this beer again sometime soon.




2 comments:

  1. Drool. Do not read your blog on Friday mornings, as day dreaming increases and productivity plummets. Great write up, I'm interested in this pour house, but stop ending sentences with prepositions and get out your copy of EB White's Style of Writing... lol... silly English degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put." -- Winston Churchill. Thanks for reading the blog that I have a lot of fun writing.

    ReplyDelete